Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
I need reassurance ... fast *LINK*

John Trant (Baltimore/WashDC)
>With the blessing of my lovely LOML, I just now purchased a used Vega model 2400 Bowl lathe thru eBay (URL link is below) for $1300 (plus $300 shipping). This is half the price of a new machine. The seller assured me it looked and performed as new. I am a little shaky having made a sight-unseen purchase of that magnitude. I am the type of guy that won't buy a $100 drill without first looking and holding it. And I have no hesitation in taking it back if it doesn't perform as expected. Hard to do this thru ebay.

Right now, I need a few "atta boys" and "congratulations" - please don't tell me the potential problems I just got myself into. I am already playing that record over and over in my head! On one hand, I am "pee-in-your-pants" excited with the purchase. Lets not go to the other hand.

History:
I was using the Dom method of putting away $20 every week in order to pay cash for a new lathe (an upgrade from my Nova 3K with 1-1/2 HP DC motor). I had originally set my sights on a Powermatic 3520a primarily because of the larger capacity and the sliding headstock so that I can use it as a short bed bowl lathe. After the thread initiated by Mark Kauder and after a brief email discussion with their sales rep, I had revised my goal to that of the Vega 2400. In the last year and a half of saving my "allowance", I was half way there. Then, I wandered upon this ebay offer of a Vega 2400 at half price. I had the cash in hand, I had the SWMBO's OK, I certainly had the desire, the moon was in the correct phase, etc, etc. Bottom line: I now have a quality 24" heavy-duty bowl lathe (in principle, at least) and no money hidden in the sock drawer.

I will let you kinow when it comes in and how if feels to turn that first BIG bowl.

John

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081