Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
If I Only Had a Brain (that fit) *PIC*

Mike Schwing from Md.
>Finally! First off let me say that I did not intend to paint the brain. I had only intended to give it a little color by adding some toner to the lacquer. Late last night, when I should have not been in the shop, I dumped some transparent red into the airbrush, and before I realized what I had done, I had painted the base! It looked horrible. So I painted it in black and then transparent red on top. It looks odd, but kind of neat, too. I'm OK with it but it wasn't what I had intended.

The pattern on the bug was done by carefully folding wire mesh around the body and head, and then spraying translucent paints of various colors, and then applying a charcoal black over top with the mesh removed. The whole thing was sprayed with a water based lacquer. The interior of the head, it can now be revealed, is carved with veins and colored black, blue and purple, to show that he has no brain. I saved the cutout from the top of his head and it is on the floor beneath him.

I _was_ going to submit this to the AAW jury for the Kansas City Symposium exhibit with the Wizard of Oz theme, but now that I painted the base I'm not so happy with it. Hopefully you can change my mind. There are a bunch more pics as additional posts to this one. Please put your comments, if you have any, here on this post to keep them in some sort of order. I would love feedback, of any sort.

This was the most intense thing I ever worked on. The whole thing stands about 14" tall and is made from one single piece of silver maple - not a good choice for this type of work. The head was turned first and then the rest was carved, shaped, sanded, and painted.

Glad it is done!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081