Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Question to all on Coring.

Barry Irby
>I have the McNaughton coring system. I found the instructions to be somewhat lacking to say the least. I'm still not sure which set of posts the knife should go between. I find the "freedom" it gives you to be a little daunting. The Engineer part of me whats it to be calibrated and somewhat more mistake proof. Would I be wrong in considering it bad form to cut the metal off the chuck jaws in trying to maximize the bowl?

Has anyone developed a good way of "aiming" the knife? I was thinking of some sort of set up that would allow you to set the gate at a given angle and move the banjo toward the tail stock a given distance to assure that when the cut is complete you would know the knife is about where you wanted it.

I have only used it about twenty or thirty times, but find that if I am cautious I make the core too small and the bigger blank too thick. If I am cavalier I make the core too deep the the bigger blank too thin and have torn the plug out of the big bowl, converting it into a funnel.

I want to get better, because when it works, it is sweet. I finally got the height right and I can core a blank in less time than it takes to hog the wood out. This is a great tool, less shavings and more bowls.

Anyone got good advice on setting it up reliably?

Barry Irby

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081