Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Green wood "I got this far"

David
>I found some wood in a discard recently, that was very freshly cut. I'm very fresh to lathe-turning, so I was dumb enough to pick some up. I don't know what the wood is, though the back resembles Ash (I'm fairly certain it is not Ash). As it turns out, the wood is quite beautiful, and the center of the heartwood has streaky, brilliant red. When I first saw it, I thought that red had rubbed off from the bed of a dump truck when transported. It is that red. The rest of the wood is really white.

So here's what I've done - a few pieces are in the garage with anchor seal on the ends, including a burly piece that has anchor seal all over the place where branches were coming and going. These pieces range in size from 8 inches length, 3 inches diameter to 18 inches long, 12 inches diameter. Most of these were fresh cut by me on both sides before anchor, the largest pieces is "as found" because I didn't have the means to re-cut, and some pieces are fresh cut by me one side and as found on the other. But all are anchor-sealed.

Now, the pieces I am curious about are the ones I've played with. I turned one piece down to a cylinder, where the grain is perpendicular to the lathe (the grain faces me). The piece is maybe eight inches long, and four inches diameter. I'm hoping that some day, when it dries, I can make a box with it. I slathered the whole piece in anchor seal right after I turned it. The other piece I played with is a bowl, where I roughed it out (grain is parallel to the lathe in this case). The edge thickness of the bowl is maybe 3/8" or so, the bottom is thicker because of a tenon, so that is maybe an inch and a half or mabye two inches at the max. This piece I also slathered in anchor eal.

At last, my questions.
1) Should I have encased the turned pieces in anchor seal, or just the end grain sides.
2) Any guesses on how long these would take to dry?
3) The red color is extremely nice-looking. Any explanation on why that exists?

I know this is lengthy - but thanks for looking and your help!

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081