Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
A conversation with Advanced-battery.com

Ron in Drums PA
>I've been having problems with the power pack on my Triton respirator. I decided to replace the batteries. The following is a email conversation I had with them.

Question:
I'm looking at your product "KR-5000DEL, D 5000mAh NiCd 1.2v".

I need to replace 5 batteries in a piece equipment. The charger that comes with these units are class 2 power supply (DC9v, 500mA).

My question is, with your batteries, how long do I need to charge them for optimal performance?

Thank you for your time.

Reply from Advanced-battery.com
Thanks for your inquiry.

The KR-5000DEL is a flat top battery designed for assembling into a battery pack (they do not have a raised positive tip). So if you plan to build packs, make sure you request solder tabs as an additional feature.

If you have 5 cells in series, the voltage is 6vdc nominal and the charge voltage should be approx. 7.5 (we're not sure why yours is 9v). At 500mA, a 5000mAh battery should be charged for approx. 12 to 14 hours for a full charge on a drained battery.

Question:
Thanks for your response.

When this pack was new (6 months ago) the batteries would last 5-6 hours, which was fine. Now the power lasts only 2 hours. Do you think the higher voltage (9vdc) on the charger is what is causing the short battery life?

Thanks Again.

Reply from Advanced-battery.com
Unless there is some device between the charger and the cells reducing the voltage before charging, I would guess that these batteries are being overcharged.

I should correct my previous statement - the standard charge for the KR-5000DEL should be 500mA for 14 to 16 hours when the battery is fully discharged down to 1 volt per cell (not 12 to 14 hours as previously mentioned).

You should probably try to find a charger with the correct specifications before using new cells.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081