Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Spalted birch bowl *PIC*

keith zimmerman, Normal IL
>Greetings all,

I've just been hanging for a while, but thought I would post a photo of my latest challenge.

This is a bowl from spalted birch. I had had a heck of a time getting it firm enough to turn. It is about 5" in diameter, 2" deep, and has 3/16" walls. It was then sanded to 320 grit. So far, I have one coat of Minwax Tung Oil Finish. It will get a few more coats, then a good buffing.

This wood was extremely soft and punky, almost too much so. I first tried soaking the blank in a mixture of Elmer's glue and water, which was only marginally successful. After starting the turning, I got into more very soft wood and tried to use CA to firm it up. Big mistake...the CA reacted with the residual PVA and started foaming, like I had sprayed the piece with accelerator. I chucked it back up and turned off the foam, then soaked the bowl in Minwax Wood Hardener. What a stench!! That did the trick though.

Thanks for looking. I'm not particularly looking for critique, this is a very plain form and not completely finished yet.

keithz

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081