Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
New use for turning lathe(long)

Dick Hines
>To all you fly fisher persons out there I may have found a new use for my PM 3520. I ordered a new fly out fit and it came this week. I just hate putting backing on a fly reel. You never really know how much you need with out spolling on the fly line and then enough backing to fill reel.

I filled the reel with backing and fly line yesterday but did not have time to unload the reel. As you know when you load a reel this way the fly line is on the bottom. It just don't work well that way. Today I the light bulb came on.

When I got home I put the fly line spool on the lathe between the tail stock and a jam chuck. Turned the RPM's down low and unloader the line.

Now I have the fly line on the spool but it's on top. I put my Nova Titan chuck on the lathe and taped the line on the jaws and turned the lathe on again.

Now I am ready to load the backing and the line, it that order. I tied the backing on the reel spool and then took the belt off the lathe so it would free wheel. In less time that it took to expalin it I had my new reel loaded ready for a trout trip. Just remember never tie the line or backing on the the reel or spool until you are ready to do the final loading.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081