Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Hammered Maple Bowl w/pic

Jennifer@Indy.USA
>Hi Everybody,This is my first attempt at hammering. I bought a little air hammer at Lowes and ground the pointy chisel that came with it to a more rounded end instead of a point. I think I might even grind it down a bit more. I also need to play with the pressure from the compressor a bit too... As in lower it. you can see where the hammer got a way from me a few times and I nicked the edges.

Overall I like this first attempt. It looks a bit more industrial than anything I've ever turned but I suppose that's to be expected when you hammer away at it. It's a piece of maple about 9" across and 4" high. I used Indian Ink for the rim. I dyed it before I hammered. I wasn't sure in which order to do that since I'd never done it before. It seemed to work out okay. I dyed and hammered still in the chuck on the lathe. After I got started, I wondered if that might not be a good idea. The hammering seems a bit violent at times. I hope there's no chance of damaging my bearings or chuck? I might hold the chuck in my bench vise from now on. I would not recommend it for someone with carpel tunnel or sensitive ears! Ouch! After all the surface treatments I finished the bottom and dyed the foot black too. I thought that might add a nice touch bringing the rim color down to the bottom. Finished with 4 wipe on coats of Rockler wipe on gel poly, and 0000 steel wool in between. All comments encouraged please! Thanks for looking :)

Jennifer

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081