Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Greenie cutting green

David
>Hi -

I've got some "found wood", and I'm a newbie with questions. The pieces are maybe 16" long and maybe 10" in diameter. I'm calling them green because they appear to be freshly cut from a tree, the cut areas are quite recent-looking (white & clean). The wood is pretty heavy. I believe the tree was living when cut. I've got three of these logs. Not sure what type of wood, looks kind of like ash, but maybe sycamore because there isn't diamond pattern. All pieces are very straight. There is some "blood wood" in the middle, where there is a quarter-sized red spot.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Piece 1: Seal the ends with anchor seal or shellac, let it dry on it's own until the NHL starts playing again (forever).

Piece 2: hack it into three discs that are 5-6 inches each, seal both sides, dry 'em in paper bags for however lon. Leave the bark on? I dunno.

Piece 3: using a table saw: cut it roughly in half width-wise (perpendicular to grain), cut one of the resulting pieces lengthwise, cut one of those resulting pieces into a blank, turn out a bowl (with the grain), let it dry paper bag-style, and see what happens, ala the methodology seen at
http://www.customwooddesign.com/turninggreenwood-1.html Is this a safe or even doable thing to attempt with a table saw?

Please excuse any idiocy in these questions. I'm pretty new to this. I wouldn't have picked up wood from the roadside to monkey with yet just recognizing my own inexperience, except that this wood suddenly showed up, the price was right, it is clear of knots, has an even diameter, and is in really good shape. I was kind of hard to drive past it.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081