Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
A poisoned little gloat

Smoky Joe
>Well, I was pretty pleased last Saturday after traded a bowl to swipe a few recently-felled logs from a construction site. Mostly oak.

I was still pleased when I cut up about 25 sections that should yeild at least 2 small bowls. And I even had the chance to rough out a couple of bowls.

I was NOT pleased this evening when I learned that Urushiol is the active ingredient in POISON OAK - those irritating little runners I pulled from my logs.

So I sit here, covered in a rash, wondering whether my whole new log pile is toxic.

I'm thinking that beyond the bark, all will be fine. (Obviously, natural edge will be out of the question!) Will I be able to turn this stuff without suffering continual re-infection? I hear breathing the stuff is really bad. Any tips, suggestions, or even laughs at my expense would be most welcomed.

Thanks, Jeff

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081