Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Sassafras Turning Blanks 8x6x6

Craig Daymon
>Hello all,

I've been away from the board for some time as the shop is in storage, but I do have access to my father's Jet mini so I'my trying out some turning ideas. Starting to attend some Bucks County (PA) Woodturner's meetings and I'm really getting inspired.

I have an idea for something that I want to do and I was thinking that Sassafras might be a great wood to do it in. I need blocks about 8" tall and about 6x6 square. I don't know how Sassafras is to turn, so if it is a bad choice please let me know.

The idea is simply a lidded box for on top of the toilet tank to hold a spare roll of TP. I'm thinking a finish for the outside is probably necessary, but the inside left unfinished. I know Sassafras has a great cinnamon type smell and think it would be just right for that environment when you need the next roll. I'm figuring on putting a 3/4" dowel (probably poplar) in the center of the box about an inch shorter than a roll. Probably drill a shallow hole for the dowel after the box is complete.

So, if Sassafras would be a good wood for this project, does anyone know where to get some Sassafras blanks that size? Any idea what the cost might be?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081