Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
unsafe practices....o boy!

Keith Tompkins
>I missed the deleted photos of unsafe turning practices..... so let me qualify my following statement by saying I believe in working safely, and don't usually do foolish things at the lathe.

I may be getting into some hot water here, but I steady my spindles by wrapping my fingers around the piece as I am turning it...even with the dreaded skew. I was taught that way by the old-timers in the furniture shop I "apprenticed" in. It was common practice to work that way.

I would imagine the look of shock on many turner's faces, but I have been doing in that way for many years. For example, on a long finial that's 1/4" diameter in places, a steady rest is impractical it would be in the way. A finger wrapped around the piece works well for me.

I teach spindle turning, but this isn't a method I teach for obvious reasons. AND anyone who isn't an experienced turner shouldn't attempt it.

Anyone else at WC steady their spindles that way? I would be curious about the deleted techniques; what they were, and better alternatives to those techniques, as this may be a good learning experience.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081