Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
yet more glue/waste block questions

Andy in Raleigh
>I am have rounded off a few pieces of mahogany from a bunch of old 4x4 (actually 4.25" on each side, so I can actually get a 4" round) beams I have. I am planning to turn some large goblets, small end grain bowls and lidded "boxes" using a faceplate. I read the earlier post about end grain and faceplates and I am planning to go with a small tenon inserted into a glue block.

Most of my other stock is 4/4 and the most likely choice for the block is white oak, because I have a lot of that and it is pretty clear and strong. I also have some soft maple, walnut and purpleheart, but not as much and they are a bit more valuable (at least until I butcher it). I have one other choice - mahogany! At one end of a beam, there is a split and I can easily salvage a few 2" or better thick 4" x 4" blocks from that. If I went with oak, I would either have to only have 1" or laminate.

As far as glue, I have a bunch of epoxy, hardener and thickening powder left over from a couple of boats I built. That would definitely be my first choice for laminating the oak, if I do that, and possibly for attaching the blank as well. I am not in a big hurry and I know that it will hold. I also have white glue, yellow glue and a little CA around. I also have a bunch of craft glue that I use in scroll work that is not suitable as far as I know.

Anyway, my questions are:

1 - Which wood would you use and how thick?

2 - What glue would you use?

I would also appreciate any tips on facing off the block to get it nice and smooth and flat.

Thanks!

-Andy

Messages In This Thread

yet more glue/waste block questions
Re: yet more glue/waste block questions
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081