Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
OT - A traitor among us

Fred in NC
>Last September I passed that birthday that qualifies me for retirement and social security. My plans were to retire at the end of 2004, but my employer is keeping me until a couple of projects are completed. That will take a few months. A few of you know that I am a computer programmer or "Senior Software Engineer" with the senior part of the title being quite obvious.

Before my retirement plans changed, I decided to go back to college. Not that I need it, first because I already have a degree, and second because I am retiring. I just wanted to have something to do, in addition to my woodturning addiction, and take some fun courses. I enrolled at a nearby community college.

Now what makes me a traitor, at least in the purists opinion, is that one of my courses is CNC. That also happens to be a metal shop class.

My first lathe was a miniature metalworking one. Soon I bought my first woodworking lathe, and I was immediately hooked. I found however that I was able to do some tooling and make woodworking accessories with the metal working equipment. Very useful indeed!

I want to assure everybody that I will continue to turn wood the conventional way. If I ever make a CNC turning, I will not tell..... I promise!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081