Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
sponge bowl *PIC*

john Lucas
>I've started making things from wood that people bring me from the family homestead. It seems to be a little niche around here where I can make some money. I don't make any promises of a certain object or size unless I have control of the wood and when it's cut. If they bring me the usual 16" or less piece that was cut last year, all I promise them is "something" So far everyone has been really excited about the results and it tests me to come up with something with a little flair that they will be proud of.

This is my latest "commission". It is a piece of maple. Ideally she wanted an oval bowl. I was lucky the wood wasn't bad but I couldn't keep the bark on. I peeled it off and burned the edge. It looked horrible so I carved away the burn and shaped the edge. Then I took 3 different round Dremel tools and textured the edge. I learned this from Jane Saylor(sp) of Alabama. I think it turned out nice.

I apologize for the photography. I just moved and I think I know what quadrant of the garage has my photo stuff but I sure don't know which box.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081