Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Review: McNaugton Coring System and the Jet 1236

Ron in Drums PA
>Iíve been thinking about picking up a coring system for a while. What was holding me back is Iím also planning on buying a bigger lathe. I found that the McNaughton System it will fit on any lathe, so no matter what I buy I will be ok.

A problem using a coring system on the Jet 1236 is itís 3/4 HP motor is underpowered. Luckily there are mini tools available that are about half the thickness as the standard tool. The bad news is they donít come in a kit. So I purchased the standard system with the post, gate and handle knowing that sooner or later I will have a bigger lathe. I also purchased the mini coring tools for use right now.

Using a pin chuck, I roughed out the outside of some plain looking maple and finished up with a 10" blank. With the large curved mini tool in the handle and the post all set up, I took a deep breath and started my approach. I soon as I realized that I should have started with the medium tool, coring was a breeze. In no time I was able to pop out the first core.

On the second coring I decided to start with the small curve tool and again I quickly I had my second bowl. Iím feeling confident now and decide to try one more coring. Unfortunately, since I used a pin chuck, I had drilled the initial hole too deep and my third coring I ended up with a 3" donut. Good news is ďIT WORKSĒ and if I start out with a hole that is less deep I will be able to pop out some small bowls.

I still havet allot to learn, but I feel confident this system will continue to work on a Jet 1236.

Side Note: Although there may not be a big market, I really think it would be a great service for McNaughton to build a kit with the mini tools along with a post, gate and handle.

Thanks for looking

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081