Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
drying roughed out bowls

jared
>remove 1 for email
Hello I know that this subject has probably been beat to death at times here but I am still learning. I have a new, bigger lathe, PM 3520, so I am turning a lot bigger bowls. I just roughed out two, a walnut and an ash bowl, both 14 inches in diameter. I plan to coat them with anchor seal and then wrap in a couple of layers of newspaper and put them in my house basement which this time of year, in the midwest, in a house with forced air heat, is a dry and warm place. On the smaller bowls, 6 to 8 inch that I previously turned I put the green bowls in a grocery bag filled with wet shavings but this gets kind of out of hand with the bigger ones an requires a lot of storage room and is kind of a mess, shavings all over the basement whch my wife doesnt appreciate.
Does this sound like a good plan? Should I use Johnsons paste wax instead of the anchor seal? I already have a few roughouts that have been given the alcohol treatment but these two blanks have a lot of figure and I want to make sure they dont crack during the drying process. Thanks in advance Jared

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081