Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Making Tool Rests *Pic

Garrett in Victoria
>My new lathe came with only one 12" tool rest, and I often need a narrower one. This morning I decided to put last summer's welding course to work and see if I could make one. It was so easy I made two, and have plans for more if I can solve a problem described below, ideas welcome.

I bought some 2-3 foot lengths of 1", 1/2", and 5/8" cold rolled steel rod from the Metals Supermarket.

Before/before cutting the post to length, I used the tablesaw to cut a long vee in a piece of scrap hardwood. I clamped this to the drill press table, laid the 1" rod in the vee, and marked the 6" length for the post. I then centre-punched and drilled a 5/8" hole through the rod. Then, I cut through the centre of the hole to give me one post with a perfect 5/8" groove in the top, and a second similar one still to be cut off.

I then cut a 5" length off the 5/8" rod, and used a mitre gauge on my disk sander to chamfer the ends of the pieces. (The grinder was too aggressive.)

The 5/8 rod fit perfectly square in the groove in the 1" post, and it was a simple matter to weld them together. I can make strong welds but not yet pretty ones, so a bit of work with an angle grinder and a file cleaned everything up. A test run on the lathe made me quite happy.

However, I was just starting to hollow out a small piece of spalted birch through a narrow opening, and using the Termite tool with just finger pressure rather tiring. So, why not make a gated rest? Same process, except that this one took about 15 minutes all in. The only extra steps were to drill a couple of 5/16" blind holes in the 5/8" rod before welding it to the post, and to cut a couple of 1" pieces off a length of 5/16" rod I found among my scraps. They just drop into the holes.

That little bit of leverage makes it so much easier and faster to hollow, I can't believe I didn't do this years ago.

Now I'd like to make some curved bowl rests. I have a couple of commercial ones, but have never particularly liked their shapes. What I need to do is figure out how to bed the 1/2" rod into gentle S curves. I am certainly open to suggestions. (I have a couple of 5 ton hydraulic bottle jacks left over from the cottage construction, but no frame to put them in.)

Cheers, Garrett

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081