Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
question and back door gloat

jared
>remove 1 for email
Hello: I have had a Delta midi lathe for 3 years, bought a supernova chuck for it and turned, due to the size limitations of the lathe, a lot of 6-8 in dia bowls. The capacity of the chuck was never an issue. Now, like a kid in a candy shop, I want to turn as big of a bowl as I can, since I got my new PM 3520 lathe up and running. I have the standard 50mm jaw set and use it in the expanding dovetail mode, since that is the way I always did it on the midi. According to the literature with the chuck, 12 inch diameter is the maximum capacity for those jaws. Is that a practical limit? It looks like I need the 100 mm jaws to turn a bigger bowl or is there some way to safely turn a larger diameter with the 50 mm jaws?
By the way, I ordered the PM3520 from Osolnik Machinery and it was a very smooth transaction. It was to be shipped on Jan 3, and it was. It arrived on the 6th as promised, in good shape with no damage just like I was told it would. It works good. I have turned 4 bowls on it and it runs smooth, has a lot of power and does not vibrate at all. I didnt ever realize when using the delta midi how much it would be vibrating, even though I had it bolted down to a heavy bench.
Now I need a bigger chain saw, riser block for the band saw, etc, etc, etc.
Thanks in advance Jared

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081