Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
You Vacuum chuckers?

Bud
>Ok Vacuum chuckers, the “typical Vacuum pump” that are being bought by most woodturners, seem to be in the ¼ to 1/3 HP range pulling between 22-26 inches in vacuum. However most of you vacuum chuckers, know that volume flow is important also. Do those of you vacuum chuckers that are using, or have used, the Typical ¼ to 1/3 HP pumps find it adequate for just about all your needs, OR at times have you wished you had a more powerful pump or are thinking of upgrading to one with more flow like a ¾ hp for more porous woods or other reasons? Also is there any disadvantages to a larger pump, such as a sizable increase in noise? I’m going to be setting up a system soon and prefer not to find out that I want to upgrade to a larger pump right away. I am hoping for some simple honest answers, instead of; formulas of inches of pull, to diameter of piece, to size of worm holes, pertaining to cfm air, factoring in your specific altitude and such. Not that there’s anything wrong with those who like to figure that type of stuff out.

TIA and safe turning

Bud

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081