Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Binge Cherry w Turquoise inlay *PIC*

Ben Aragon
>Yet another piece I turned. This hollow form is Binge Cherry with turquoise inlay. The wood I got from a friend who’s tree died. I have been trying to turn a bowl with the pith of the bowl at the apex of the side. I was also trying to get the pith of the log centered on the piece so that the grain would be as symmetrical as I could get it on the top. All of the bowls I tried this on cracked badly. All were Binge Cherry, maybe not such a good species to try this on. This one I rough turned it and then boiled it for 2 hours and died it according to the boiling protocol. This piece had only one crack when finished, it may have been in the log all along and unnoticeable. I decided to fill the crack with some turquoise I had and crushed. I added two inlay rings of turquoise to the top to complement the cracks on the sides. This piece is 6x4x1/4” thick. All comments are welcome.

I am reluctant to comment on other people’s work I have seen on this website or at my local club. Being a new bowl turner I don’t feel quite qualified to make an educated statement. I see a lot of beautiful artwork on this site that I really like. Most of the time I think WOW how did He or She do that.

I would like to thank all of you that have looked and especially those that have made comments. Thank you all.

Best Wishes,
Ben

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081