Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Back at it *Pics *PIC*

Garrett in Victoria
>Happy 2005, Everyone

I think I mentioned last autumn that I sold my General 26020 because it was too big for my small shop (in which I concentrate mostly on cabinet work). However, I soon missed having a lathe and thought about buying something in the mini-midi range. After almost committing to the little Jet that everyone here loves so much, a sale at KMS Tools in Vancouver BC tipped the balance in favour of a Teknatool DVR 3000 complete with the Super Nova Chuck 2. Although the cost was about 3 times the Jet's, I'm glad I spent the extra.

Here's the first product off the DVR, a save from an earlier unsuccessful attempt. Out of an awkward piece of yellow cedar - the burl is fragile and contained enough solid wood to make the transitions challenging - it's 12" diameter by 4" high finished with 3 coats of BLO. Yellow cedar is a pleasure to work other than the overwhelmingly pungent odour.

I intend to do a review on the lathe, but having used a swivelling headstock for the first time - only 15 for this one - I have to say it is a real convenience I wouldn't want to be without now that I've experienced it.

Cheers, Garrett

Messages In This Thread

Back at it *Pics *PIC*
Re: Back at it *Pics
Re: Back at it *Pics
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081