Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Photography Q's *PIC*

David Hammond, in Powder Springs GA
>I'm trying to get set up for shooting my own bowls and vases, and I need some help deciding about a camera, etc. I want to get set up to do this profesionally, because I think I can learn wahtever I need to to do this myself, rather than farm out this part of my work.

I've got an average Kodak DX3900 digital camera, that shoots passable shots - and maybe I just need help tweaking with it, but I'd like to spend whatever I need too, to get the right tool for the job (and maybe my setup is what needs money?) I'm using a peice of milk colored plexi-glass about five feet long and three feet wide, draped in a smooth curve over a wooden frame. Then I'm using three tungsten bulbs in those wide alumminum fixtures.

I see the new 6 meg. cameras with much better lenses than what I've got, the SLR digital cameras that start at $800 and go up fast. And then there are the slide film cameras that don't cost too much - $200-300 on Ebay - but with a slide film camera I would need a slide scanner, and cheap ones are about $300 bucks. Just about everything I want photos of my work for, is for the web, and computer use. Although, I do want hard copies to keep a record in a book, as well as for a physical pamphlet I could give to anyone interested.

So, what do you photography experts think would be best: what I've got - or a better digital? Or an SLR digital? Or, the slide film camera, and buy a slide scanner to get to the digital format I need most of the time?

I just want to get set up to do this photgrahy work, once: to be able to take very high quality shots for web/internet use, as well as print hard copies at times.

Thanks for any help guys.
David

PS The photo is one I took last night with my digital, my setup and feeble knowledge - critiques please?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081