Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Maple Salad bowl

Dominic Greco at home in Richboro, PA
>Hello Everyone,

Here are some pictures of a salad bowl I just dropped off to my neighbors. They're great friends of ours and I just wanted to show them how much we appreciated them.

This bowl was turned from some Norway Maple I got about 1 1/2 years ago. I roughed out the bowl almost as soon as I got the logs home and it had been "air" drying ever since then. I was sort of surprised at the figure this maple exhibited. It looked pretty plain when I roughed it out. Now I can't wait to get to the rest of the bowls I had roughed out from this wood!

The bowl measures approximately 11" in diameter x 7" deep. The base measures about 2 1/4" in dia. and the wall thickness is about 3/8".

I sanded the bowl to 600 grit and then burnished with a piece of brown paper bag. Since this is meant to be used as a salad bowl, I used Tried and True's Original Oil Finish (it's prime ingredients being mineral oil and bee's wax). After the finish was allowed to cure for 24 hours, I signed my name on the bottom and buffed the bowl.

I dropped the bowl off with my neighbor's grand daughter. So I didn't get the chance to see their face when they receive it. Hopefully, they'll be surprised when they discover it underneath the tree.

Thanks for viewing!

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081