Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Stewart/Sorby/Pencil Hollower Owners

Mark Kauder, Phenix City, AL
>I got a Don Pencil arm brace hollowing system from Lee Valley last spring, and am only now getting around to using it seriously. Until this point, my Sorby Hollowmaster worked well enough.

On the Hollowmaster, you have to hang the cutter/scrapers on the bottom. With the Pencil system at least, you have the option of hanging them on the bottom or mounting them on the top of the swan necked shaft.

In the little bit of playing that I have done with the system to this point, I hung them on the bottom. In doing so, I was a little disappointed in the way the tool felt - little catches, hard to control - all compared to the Hollowmaster (admittedly a shorter tool).

Last night, I put a cutter on the top, and felt I had much better control, and better feedback.

I would like to hear what the rest of you do.

BTW, using at teardrop scraper on my Hollowmaster, I am able to remove wonderful, vast quantities of curly wood chips from the inside of a bowl. With the Pencil system using the exact same scraper blade, I could not duplicate that action, even on the same bowl. I felt like the tool shaft was vibrating enough that the scraper did not stay in contact with the wood.

Interested in your opinions.

Mark

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081