Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Please Help!, Newbie Christmas project

Randy Todd in Dallas GA
>I hope some of you guys can talk me through a tiny project without hurting myself, and with acceptable results in one night!

I am finishing a small table for a Christmas gift and need to turn a single small drawer pull. The table is black walnut, and I have plenty of 4/4 stock and some offcuts glued up for 8/4 (all dry).

Can I simply screw a section of the 8/4 to a faceplate (I don't have a chuck), and begin shaping? Once completed, should I attempt to part the knob from the blank, or would I be better off going to the bandsaw? Other than avoiding the screws with my tools, what other pitfalls should I watch for?

Sorry for such a newbie post, but I have to start somewhere, and I don't have much time to learn the hard way right now. . .

I have sharpened the tools that came with the used Powermatic 45 lathe, but my total turning experience is a simple gauge for work. The drawer pull is much smaller work.

I have 3 gouges, a 3/4" scraper, a parting tool, a beading tool, and two skew chisels.

I have read some of the archive material and have printed and read through some introductory turning tutorials. I am aware of the injury potential, but am possibly not totally up to speed on how to minimize the risk.. I have eye protection and drop down shields mounted to the lathe (they are a pain to use).

Thanks in advance for help with such a desperate question.

Randy

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081