Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
3 Colored Maple Bowls (PICS)

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

After seeing so many wonderful pieces where people have used the basic bowl as the starting "canvas" from which to work, I tried to give it a small go with some analine dyes and surface treatments. The first try was this green tinted maple bowl. It is about 8 inches across and 3/8" thick.

Next up I tried to do a fairly thick bowl, but with a beaded rim and an orange inside. This wood was everybit as curly as the green one, but the pics don't really show it. The orange is also a lot more vibrant than the pic shows. It is about 8x2 and quite thick.

Last was a really nice piece of a quilted maple. For this one I went "all out" :) I mixed up a fairly light blue with the idea that this would like like water ripples. I think it came fairly close. I did a wide rim like the orange, but then used my Dremel to detail the rim. I like the swirly patterns created by the tool in the wood. This one is my favorite of the three. The way the patterns shift as you tilt the bowl is really neat. Sorry the first pic is a little blury. It is also about 8x2 and fairly thick.

I've found that I really like playing with the colors and will be doing more of that. For all three, I finished by waiting for the dye to dry and then used tried and true and then buffed with the beal system.

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Thanks for taking a look,

Mike

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081