Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Basket Bowl *PIC*

Fred Deadrick--Livermore, CA
>Mark Kauder suggested that I post a couple of recent segmented bowls that I turned, so here goes.

This "basket Bowl" was made using the techniques described by Gary Johnson in an article featured in the Summer 1998 issue of the American Woodturner. This bowl is 7 inches in diameter and 4-1/2 inches high. The woods used are Maple, Cherry, and Walnut for the three colors in the pattern.

There are 48 segments in each ring. Making the rings and the colored pattern is not as difficult as it may seem. To make the segments, you first glue up two laminates, i.e. one laminate of Walnut/Maple/Cherry/Maple and the other of Maple/Walnut/Maple/Cherry, and then cut 24 segments from each glued-up laminate. Now by properly arranging the 48 cut segments (some segments are flipped over), you can get the cross-pattern seen on the bowl. (Gary Johnson's article describes it all much better.)

Four stacked rings of the 4-layer laminate make up the 16 segmented rings shown in the bowl. Different patterns can be made using same laminated segments, depending on how they are arranged.

Hope this explanation was somewhat clear, and that you enjoy looking at it.

Fred

Messages In This Thread

Basket Bowl *PIC*
wow!
Re: wow!
Re: wow!
Re: Basket Bowl
Beautiful!
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081