Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
HELP - I Can't turn worth a darn

Doug in Denver
>OK, I am about to try my first turned legs. I have blanks of solid paduak, which, as you might imagine, I am not crazy about ruining. I will glue up as many practice blanks as I need to out of pine or whatever. To date I have only turned pens and a few handles for pen mandrels and things like that. I think I have the basic knack or "feel" for something like turning - but what I lack is knowledge. In other words, if I knew HOW to do it properly, I think I would be OK at it. I sense my most basic problems are proper tool orientation to the wood and a lack of a sense of how much force to exert on the tools. I tend to want to hold the tool neutrally, but not exert any forward thrust on it, and I sense that allows the wood to get the better of me and results in as many catches as improper tool orientation. Anyway, though a hands on class would be preferable, I really don't have time. Have any of you seen a video I can buy that is betther than any other on basic techniqies? At this point I am really interested in spindles, not so much bowls.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081