Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Christmas Gift Tags *PIC*

John U
>A fun little project - Christmas gift tags! These are made from cutoffs from bowl blanks including figured/burl maple, redwood, apple, and canary wood. They range in size from about 1.5-inches to 2-inches diameter, and less than 1/8 thick. All were soaked in Danish oil after turning, until all shown were finish turned.

I sliced the cutoffs approximately 3/16 1/4 inch thick, and cut into rough hexagon shapes. Using my vacuum chuck and support with the tailstock, I trued them round. Then, after removing the tailstock, shaped and sanded the front face. After sanding, I cut two fine grooves to highlight the area where I will write who the gift is for. After touching up lightly with the final sanding grit, I flipped them over in the vacuum chuck, shaped and sanded the back side.

Since the vacuum chuck I used is only a 1.25 PVC coupling with leather seal, I learned that high lathe speed, VERY sharp tools, and VERY light cuts were needed; otherwise, these tags would pop off and go flying (Im still missing one somewhere in my garage).

To tag along with the "how much vacuum" thread earlier --- I was pulling 22"+ Hg on the ones without voids, and would still pop them off the small vacuum chuck because of the small surface area.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081