Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Bowl Two of the Current Batch *PIC*

Mark Kauder
>This is the second bowl in the current batch of five. They all start with the same basic design, but because I design my bowl plans with 1.5" wall thickness, it allows me to vary the shape to whatever the bowl is saying it wants to be (fancy artist talk for - if I mess up). The other variation in these bowls is the height of the individual rings and the number of segments per ring. When the grain is dramatic, I like to preserve as much of it as I can, so I go to 12 segments per ring, and 3/4" height (as is the case with is Birdseye Maple and the previous Zebrawood). When the grain is less dramatic, I go to thinner rings with more segments, because that the adds interest that is lacking in the grain.

I usually do not decide on the look of the feature ring until I get there. I also do not decide on the neck until I get there. Both actions makes it interesting, though it slows the process a little.

This one is 10.5" in diameter, 1/4" Wall thickness. The woods are Birdeye Maple, Bloodwood, and Yellowheart w/ black and white veneers.

As always Critiques are welcome. Yeah, I know the photography is marginal.

Mark

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081