Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Fun with the vac chuck

Mike Schwing from Md.
>I am happy to say that I do not have a picture of the ambrosia maple I was finishing up on the vacuum chuck last evening as it flew across the room. Fortunately it was only a likely scenario that didn't actually occur.

I made a conscious decision to not fill in the holes in the bowl I was working because I thought it was just too nice for food use, and you could see straight through the tiny little ambrosia beetle holes, it was kind of neat.

When I went to stick it on the vacuum drum, I realized some of the holes were inside the drum's diameter, so having run into this before, I simply covered them on the interior (twice) with blue painter's tape. It is effective.

Everything was proceeding nicely (pic soon), and then suddenly I heard the vacuum motor change pitch (uh oh). I had uncovered another hole as I was finish turning the bottom, and I had not taped it over on the other side. Fortunately it only dropped the vacuum by a pound or two, but it was a heart stopper.

I always leave the tailstock in place when reversing till the last possible moment, which of course was exactly where that little bugger had tunneled a hole.

Just trying to help others avoid this potential disaster as well.

BTW, the vacuum drum comes in very handy for securely holding work that no longer has a mounting to do repairs or hand sanding finishes.

Messages In This Thread

Fun with the vac chuck
Re: Fun with the vac chuck
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081