Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Grinders *PIC*

Mark Kauder
>There have been many posts recently about grinders - many decrying the 1) cost, 2) availablity.

One thing I did not see suggested (I did not read them all - my eyes blurred after a little while) is to make your own. This is one of the easiest ways to get the size and speed you want.

Pictured here is my grinder - $30 mandrel, $10 in pulleys, and a discarded 1/2hp, 1750rpm motor from my old drill press. Previously, this same setup had a 1HP 3450rpm motor that I then moved on to another use in the shop. The next motor was a 1hp VS motor like the one that I used on my lathe, but someone really wanted it to convert their mini-lathe so I sold that motor and put on the one pictured here.

The great thing with this setup, is that it is almost infinately variable. This one started live as a 6", 1750rpm. Then I moved to 8", VS. Now it is an 8" Sub-800rpm grinder. Some day it may be a 10" grinder if I want - though I see not advantage in it.

I here all the time about how great a 1750rpm grinder is - a sub 1000rpm grinder is even better - very controlable. Not only that, out of balance wheels are not much of an issue at 800rpm, and there is less need for a guard.

The only thing is is not great for is shaping a new tool, but I have a $39 gray stone grinder under the bench for when I need it, or I use my belt sander.

So, try building your own.

Mark

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081