Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
3520A or X5 Lathe

Bob G.
>Hello,

I am very new to turning and looking to buy my first Lathe. I have narrowed the choices to either the Powermatic 3520A or the Delta X5 46-755X. I also noticed there is a 46-765X from Delta which seems to be being replaced with the 755 model although I canít find what the differences are.

I do realize there are differences to these machines but I am looking for feedback from folks who have experience turning and possibly anyone who owns or has used the Delta model(s). I want to choose a lathe that I probably wonít outgrow for a long while. I believe my main use will be for post type turnings rather than bowls. I will certainly make some bowls at some point but I donít think it will the majority of the use the lathe gets.

The costs difference between the two models is not really a big issue. Like most of us floor space in my shop is at a premium so the amount any new tool will take up is a big concern. I think both are fairly close unless I find I need to extend the Powermatic.

I have searched here and on the web and found the 3520 has many happy owners. As for the Delta model(s) I have found no feedback, just tons of Amazon affiliates cluttering up the search engines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081