Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Ding! Round Two! long *PIC*

Keith Tompkins
>I recently posted a photo that generated a bit of interest.....unfortunately, mostly negative. Still a bit wobbly on my feet after such a beating but luckily saved by the bell! I thought it would be a good learning opportunity for all of us, including myself, if I re-posted the same piece with a few modifications.

I changed the size and shape of the beads on the finial, in an attempt to create a better flow from the base up through the finial. Although I could have eliminated the beads and coves entirely, I must admit a certain love of traditional forms, and I wanted them to remain.

Many posted that both sections could stand on their own, which I am aware of. However, I wanted to create a sense of unity between the two; the form flowing up through the base to the tip of the finial.

I attempt to create pieces that instill a feeling of movement; in this case the swirling motion of the finial (esp. note the top edge of the finial) , and the motion upward from the base. I want my pieces to reflect a bit about myself; maybe a feeling of joy or celebration. NOT easy to do.

I also shot the piece head-on, showing a better profile of the piece. So, what do you think? Please be gentle, as I am still recovering from the previous scuffle! LOL

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081