Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
A few walnut bowls

Dave MacLuskie
>I finally got off my duff and made the compression jig/chuck thing. Bill's video inspired me. I've had these bowls sitting around and was dreading turning off the tenons.

I'll get a few pics of jig/chuck up soon. I had to rethink a few times to get it on the Jet 1236 sice the motor is stupidly placed right in the way of where the wing nuts want to be.

Anyway, a pair of walnut bowls from a 100+ year old black walnut tree taken down a few months ago. It one of many from the old Denbigh Plantation here in Newport News, Virginia. The tree was massive and in good health, but right next to a house and the older couple who live there were worried about it falling I think, plus it makes a huge mess of the whole yard they they have a hard time keeping up with. The grain is really tremendous looking, even on "straight grain" sections of the truck.

These were both turned thin (1/4" for the big bowl, and a bit less for the smaller one) and allowed to warp. I was impatient and wanted results!

The large one is 8 to 8.5" diamater. (It moved a lot and warpled quite nicely!) and about 3.5" tall. The smaller one is 6" across the top and a bit over 2" tall. Both are finshed with Watco natural and buffed.

The large bowl was given the owners as a thank you for the truck load of wood.

The small one has a knot which warped part way out, but didn't come loose. I can't decide if I like the feature or not.

- Dave

Messages In This Thread

A few walnut bowls
Re: A few walnut bowls
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081