Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Craft Show 2004, pics

Jim Shaver Oakville, Ont
>Hello,

Once a year just at the start of the Christmas season my place of work holds a Craft sale. This year represents my fourth year in participating and I always enjoy the event. In my first few years my turned crafts were well accepted and my sales were okay, but I quickly learned that pens outsold almost everything else at a rate of better than 6:1. So last year I focused on pens and found a great market.

This year I did much the same, but with better woods and some better quality kits. I found that the better woods were a huge hit as were the more expensive pens. I was very happy to see that the investment paid off in happy customers walking away with new treasure to own or give as gifts.

I had many past customers come by my table and show off the pens they bought in the past, I asked each of them to hand over the well used pens and I applied some micro crystalline wax to each one as a small way of saying thank you to them.

Other items I sold were a variety of whistle key chains, pocket watches, cork and chrome bottle stoppers as Oil lamps.

Pens are still my mainstay for sales, I sold about 20% of my inventory. I also found that pocket watches were a hit, and the chrome stoppers did well too.

Still the most gratifying part of a sale for me is hearing back from old customers, they tell me about the gifts, where they have gone too and how much they are appreciated by their owners. I now know that one of my pens sits in the breast pocket of a University President in Japan, that a few have gone as gifts to families around the world in places like Africa, Australia, England, China, Chile and the United States. I know that several pens are in the hands of corporate leaders in my company and once last month a global email went out at work, titled, “Some One Found a Jim Shaver Pen”, its owner was quickly found. I am blessed by the simple things these gifts have given back to me, the sale is such a small part of the process.

Thanks for viewing,

Take care,
Jim

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081