Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
I'm Baaaack!!!

Russ Fairfield
>We arrived back in North Idaho yesterday (Saturday) afternoon from our 7-week trek across the Country. It was a wonderful trip, but snow in Montana made the last 400 miles and 3 mountain passes a real adventure in motorhome driving.

I want to thank everyone who hosted us, gave us rides, fed us, told us where to go, and generally looked after our well-being. We appreciated your hospitality. We made many new friends, got to visit some old ones again, and I was able to put faces with some of the familiar names from Wood Central. But, there were too many times when there was only a brief meeting or a "Hello" as we passed, and I am disappointed that there was not enough time for more than that. To those who I missed, maybe there will be a next time.

I was amazed by the number of “silent readers” we have on this forum. They must be some of those 400 or more visitors that I see listed for some of the more interesting messages. I had never thought about those numbers in terms of how many folks were reading what we say here until I started meeting them.

I was really impressed by the high quality, turning skills, and artistic abilities that were apparent everywhere I went. The useful and artistic turned wood that I saw on the gallery tables in Albany, at the club meetings, and the shops I visited, is as good as it gets, anywhere. I have a lot of catching up to do.

I want to comment on the discussion that Keith Tomkins and ????? (can’t recall his name) presented on the design of turned wood, its shapes and forms and where to find them, and how to recognize the good, the bad, and the ugly when we see it. This is an instruction topic that has been neglected and avoided for too long. It was good to see someone take it on, and do a good job with it.

Keith, your format and delivery was excellent. The differences in perspective by having 2 presenters was a good idea. You need to take this one on the road.

To everyone else, if you are looking for a good presentation that will get their attention at a club meeting, this one is it. But, don’t cut them short on time. This could have easily have continued for a full 2-hours or longer.

It is good to be back home again.

Thanks for the memories.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081