Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Roughing gouge questions

Ken Platt (Granby, CT)
>Folks -

My current roughing gouge was getting bounced around pretty badly today as I tried to round a chunk of birch trunk about 7" in diameter (but oval in cross section), so I was thinking I could use a larger one. My questions: First, how are these tools sized? I have no recollection what size mine is supposed to be, and don't know how the sizes listed in the catalogs compare. Mine is made by Crown, the flute is 3/4 inch diameter at it's widest, and the outside diameter is a bit over 1" (1 3/64th to be exact).

Second, what do folks like in tool handle size for a larger gouge such as this? I felt part of my difficulty today was that the handle is only about 8" long. Perhaps it's my technique or lack thereof, but I find the 16" handles on my bigger tools very helpful when the going gets, well, rough.

Lastly, any recommendations? I'm only an occasional turner with a Jet 1236 so I'm wondering if I'd really benefit much from one of the newer alloys that are supposed to hold an edge better. Still, it sure seemed like I was making a lot of trips to the grinder today, so perhaps it would be dollars well spent. Thoughts?

Ken

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081