Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
"backstop" for lathe?

Andy in Raleigh
>I have a small shop area in my garage and I share the garage with my wife's car and my kids' toys. The best layout I have come up with is to have the lathe freestanding with some open shelves behind it (that are accessed from the other side). The problem with this is that I don't want to send chips flying behind the lathe. The lathe is mounted on a stand, but the stand is longer than my lathe, so I actually have my lathe bolted down to an oak plank and the plank is mounted to the stand. One thought I have is to mount a piece of ply to the edge of the plank (I would add a beam under the plank and secure it to that also) that would serve as something of a backstop to catch chips. I know they would mount up quick, but I am okay with that. In my limited space I have to clean up chips often anyway. But would this be very effective at all anyway? I would hate to go to the trouble of setting it up and still have a bunch of chips flying over into the toys every time I turn. An occasional one is okay. How tall would it need to be? I suspect that would be relative to center height, which is maybe 10" (probably a little less) above the plank. I would prefer not to mount anything to the walls or ceiling (I thought about the shower curtain arrangement) if I can get away with it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081