Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Glue Blocks.... *PIC*

Wally Dickerman at Green Valley, Az.
>Because I use glue blocks with most of my work, I've been asked to post some info how to use them.

When using a waste block there are several "musts" to be observed. The surfaces of both the blank and the waste block must be true and flat, as in any other glue joint. If there is a joint failure it's almost always because there wasn't enough glue used. You aren't trying to make an invisible joint. I use medium CA glue and I apply a heavy coat to each surface. I then hit the blank with one shot of accelerator and immediately apply the waste block to the blank. No clamp, just firm hand pressure for a moment. Other glues can be used, such as yellow glue, but that takes some clamping time.

I use a screw chuck, but a faceplate works. I use alder because it never warps, so it's always true and flat,giving me a good surface. Poplar works well. Don't use plywood, as it could separate.

One big advantage in using a waste block, is that after the piece is finished inside and out, except for the foot where I've left thicker wood, I can part away part of the waste block and form the foot. I do my finishing on the lathe before parting the piece off.

Wally

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081