Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Silk Purse out of a Sow's Ear *PIC*

Mark Kauder, Phenix City, AL
>A while back, I was lucky enough to have Andi Wolfe at my house for a demo on here Pyrography and carving techniques. My wife watched, and after I subsequently bought a decent woodburning pen she said that she might like to try that woodburning stuff. She played with in on some flat wood for a little while, and then got a wooden egg from me and did a pretty good job on that. Then she said, how about doing a bowl. Well, part of me did not want to put the time or expense into a solid wood bowl - I just don't have that much around, and at the time, certainly none what was dry.

But at the time, I was builing an extension onto my shop to hold my DC and Air Compressor, and I had lots of 2x4 cutoffs. Some of you might remember that I did a segmented bowl for last year's 2x4 contest. So, I took the cutoff, and made up a segmented bowl for her to practice on.

It came out pretty nice, but then again it was just white wood with a Celtic braid burned into it.

Then my wife approached me about donating a bowl for a silent auction for her women's club. I know how these things work - I donate a $400 bowl, and some pays $50 for it. So, I decided to finish off here 2x4 bowl. I shot it lacquer and sanded it until glass smooth, then tinted it with red tinted lacquer, and then gave it a couple of clear coats over the top. The inside is painted matt black.

Turned out pretty good. It is 9" in diameter.

I have started encourageing people that want to give segmented turning a try, to start with 2x4s - a good cheap way to learn, and get your techniques and tools dialed in.

Mark

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081