Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
First Bowl Post

Randy in Langley
>I have been lurking in this area of WC for a while now and have learned alot as well as enjoyed seeing all the projects that are posted. I've finally produced something that might be worth sharing.

I decided that I would give some long needed attention to my lathe this past weekend. There have been some issues with my lathe that have been bothering me that I never really got around to addressing. I have a cheap import lathe that I didn't really enjoy using, until I was inspired nearly a year ago to try some new things on it.

Anyhow, the spindle on my lathe was bent, so everything I turned on the lathe wobbled and would wobble doubly if I turned the piece around to finish the bottom. I decided to machine a new spindle for my lathe. I turned it out of 4140 hardened tool steel on my little metal lathe and while installing it on my wood lathe I cleaned and re-greased the bearings as well as installed a variable speed switch, removed the pulley cover door and installed a faceplate on the lengthened outboard end of the spindle. I also spent a portion of the weekend making my own Cole Jaws (Jumbo Jaws) for my lathe out of aluminum plate.

I installed the Cole Jaws on the lathe, mounted a bowl I was working on prior to this lathe venture and finished it off. This is a piece of spalted/figured silver maple from a tree a group of local woodworkers recovered. The wood was dried in the microwave and finished after turning with 3 coats of Danish Oil and buffed with paste wax.

All in all a very good weekend in the shop for me.

Thanks for looking I hope it was worth it.

Messages In This Thread

First Bowl Post
Put this one aside
Re: First Bowl Post
Re: First Bowl Post
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081