Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Cherry Burl Bowls

Bill Grumbine, Kutztown PA
>Good evening all

I am at the end of a two day show. It was not a spectacular show, but it was a decent show. Some of the pieces out for sale, but which I still own, are pictured below for your viewing pleasure.

This one was very punky in parts, and is held together by CA glue. It had some very nice bark inclusions as well as some great figure. Dimensions are 10" x 2" x 1/4" thick. Finish is Watco Danish oil.

This one is a bit thinner, at 3/16", and a bit larger at 17". It is 2 1/4" high. It was also very exciting to turn with all the open space inbetween the wings, so I spun it at 1000 rpm to minimize open space between the wood.

Here is a shot looking down. It don't hold soup, so it must be art.

Finally, a piece that was very diffucult to turn, partly because it was so irregular, but also partly because it was all end grain. It is a baloney slice out of the trunk, cut for firewood, but rescued by a student of mine and given to me to do with as I saw fit. So this is what I did.

Here is a profile shot, showing what little regular grained wood is in it.

Finally, a shot from the top, showing the overall shape of the burls. The grain has to be seen in vivo to be appreciated.

Thanks for taking a look.

Bill

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081