Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Proper size drill bit?

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA
>

Hi Everyone,

Since I'm hosting my annual "Holiday Craft Show" here at work next week, I wanted to turn some smaller items to add to my inventory.

I have several of those PSI Bottle Stopper kits on hand and thought they would be perfect. Back when I purchased the kits, I also bought the Bottle Stopper Chuck PSI sells for use with these kits. The kit even comes with a drill bit sized to fit the screw on the chuck.

When I went to turn a stopper last night, the blank spun right out of the chuck (I had just finished the profile and had backed off the tailstock). The hole had become over-sized due to the "punky-ness" of the spalted beech I was turning. But the Beech isn't the only culprit. I've also had this happen with Walnut and Cherry before.

I believe that the drill bit included in the kit gives you a hole that, on some occasions (as with wood that will "give" a bit) is just a shade too big for the chuck screw. I'd like to buy a smaller drill bit.

• Does anyone know the size of the drill bit included with the PSI kit? Knowing that size will let me figure out the next size drill bit down from that.

• Or does someone have a recommendation for a drill bit to use?

P.S.: I'd post this on Yahoo's Bottle Stopper site, but our Web Tracking Software (Websense)blocks that site.

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081