Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
The arrogance of some corporations

Gary Evans, Tallassee, TN
>Hi all,

Am I wrong to feel that someone is trying to sell me a load of bull?

A friend of mine recently gave me a "Square D" VF drive that came off his General lathe. After checking the Square D website and finding no info on this drive, I sent them an e-mail inquiring about the availability of a schematic for this drive. Here is the reply:

"These drives have been obsolete since 1997. Even when they were available, they were not
repairable. There are no schematics available. If you can provide us with the full part
number of the drive, we can recommend a replacement from our current product offering."

I'm sorry, but anything that is designed by the human mind using readily available electronic components is going to be repairable. And I find it difficult to believe that some engineer somewhere in the back room doesn't have a copy of the schematic on his hard drive.

Why didn't they just come out and say, "We don't want to take the trouble to help you with your request. Just buy a new drive and leave us alone."

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I certainly don't feel inclined to send any of my money in their direction, for drives or breaker boxes or whatever. I'm sure they won't loose sleep over the matter, but they've lost one customer.

Thanks for letting me rant,
Gary

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081