Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Back from DVD and other adventures

Bill Grumbine, Kutztown PA
>Greetings everyone! What a whirlwind tour for the past couple of days. I went back to Maryland to finish up work on the DVD, spending all day Wednesday going over the work that the film company had done.

We had been alerted to the fact that we had 2 1/2 hours of film so far, and that we needed to condense to down to 90 minutes if we wanted a searchable index. That was a very intimidating and sort of depressing realization, but there is a happy ending! The film guy told us he had located another indexing program that would not be as fancy as the original one he was going to use. Now I am not sure exactly what that means, but I do know that we are going to have our cake and eat it too. We will have an index. It will be a bit on the rudimentary side, but we are going to be able to keep the entire 2 1/2 hours of film! This will be ground breaking in turning DVDs, since most of them are barely an hour - at least the ones I have studied. Of course, there is no telling what will happen to people after they watch it. ;-)

Then, after a full day of editing, I traveled to Annandale VA to visit a Mini Max copy lathe and its owner, who turned out (ha ha ) to be a very friendly guy, and I did something that might surprise you all. I took a turning lesson! He was kind enough to share his experience with me on some of the things he had learned about the use of this particular lathe.

I will tell you what, it is no fun at all driving in the environment of Washington DC at rush hour. I am a bumpkin from the sticks. Rush hour traffic jams equate to two farm implements on the same road at the same time, but this stuff on 495 was surreal! I cuold see more people on the road at one time than I think live in my entire township! But I survived the trip, and am happily back home in bumpkin land.

Bill

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081