Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Painted Red Oak Bowl *PIC*

Richard Allen
>Hi

This bowl is 18"x5" out of the Red Oak tree that hurricane Isabel crashed onto my home a year ago. I processed two log sections into 18 bowls. I have the largest two yet to finish turn.

I left this bowl quite thick when I roughed it and even though there was the usual ovaling I was able to keep a 1 1/4" thickness to the rim. The wall thins down to 3/8", this bowl is heavy to pickup. I wanted to provide some security when using the bowl so I put a deep groove on the outside. Mostly for assistance in handling the bowl. Well the groove looked pretty bad and after a week I decided I needed to do something about it.

I considered many different decorations, metal leaf, colored epoxy filler, texturing... The idea of burning and coloring appealed to me. I had just received my burning and coloring supplies from a friend who I had collaborated on a platter with. She had done a wonderful job and I wanted to do something similar. The deep groove reminded me of a constriction. I thought of tying a piece of leather in that grove and hanging some "stuff" from the leather. Then I thought a vine might constrict. There are lots of vines and I considered several. I like the look of green on reddish wood so a green leaf vine would be good. As I started to draw I was reminded of the poison ivy which had grown on that tree. So I started making leaves of three. This was in the pencil stage. I thought some berries or flowers would look nice to go along with the leaves. So I looked up poison ivy on the web. The spring colors of poison ivy jumped out at me as the shape and color I wanted.

As I was penciling in the leaves coming out of the groove I was reminded that I was not limited to round. The ivy could go anywhere. I thought a little spiral of the vine trailing to the bottom of the bowl would be nice.

This is my first attempt at coloring on my turnings. It took a long time to pencil, burn and color the bowl. But the time was "sit in front of the TV time", so it passed quickly.

Thanks

Richard

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081