Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Large Segmented Shallow Bowl *PIC*

Mark Kauder, Phenix City, AL
>This is the first segmented bowl of this style that I have made. May be the last. I have always warned people starting segmented work, that the glue line is like a very thin veneer - it has thickness. Even if you have a very good, thin glue line, if you turn at a very acute angle to the glue lines between the layers, you will see it. That is the case here. It may be one that I keep here for my wife.

It is 17.5" in diameter, 2.5" deep, 3" tall with 1/4" walls. Yellowheart and Bloodwood. Because I hoped that this would be a functional bowl, I used Gorilla glue for the first time with a segmented bowl. It was not hard, but it was messy. I found that once I clamped the ring up, if I wiped the top and bottom off with Acetone, it was much cleaner. I had to make large Jumbo Jaws for my chuck, because there was no way I could flatten the rings on my sander like I normally do. Now that I have started glueing my segments all at once with large band clamps, I am much more satified with my joints, they are virtually invisable. The finish is the same as on the Box Elder bowl I already posted.

Critiques welcome.

Mark

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081