Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Does anybody know Frank Lynn?

Dave Smith, Longview, WA
>I got a call today from a member of the local woodcarvers club. He informed me that Frank Lynn got his index finger tangled in his drill press. Surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday and he will probably lose part of this finger. Frank is a well know turner in this area. He demos at the Woodcraft store in Tigard, OR and at turning clubs in the Portland, OR area. If you want to send a card you can find his address in the Classified Ads on page 67 of the fall 2004 Journal of the American Association of Woodturners. Frank is a widower and he really enjoys meeting people. When I was at his home he showed me a lot of turning that were sent to him after his wife died about 10 years ago. I recognized several names form the turning world so feel free to post this message on other turning forums if you want. Frank is not online so snail mail is the best option.

I have only met Frank a couple of times. He was going to turn pens at the woodcarvers show next weekend. I was not going to compete with him and turn bottle stoppers. Perhaps I will turn pens but I will feel odd doing so. The last time I saw Frank I bought a scraper from him. I asked him if he wanted a piece of tiger stripe bigleaf maple. His eyes lit up when he saw the wood. I picked up a 14" square block and he asked me if I wanted to give him such a big piece. I carried it into his shop and left with a big smile on my face. I was looking forward to trading barbs with him at the up coming show.

Dave Smith

Riding the ups and downs of life in Longview, WA.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081